FDMA has developed a vast expertise in rendering advice in connection with all aspects of the energy sector in Greece, including the fields of electricity generation and distribution, on the development, licensing and operation of renewable energy sources projects (especially wind power and PV’s) as well as in connection with mining, querying and oil and gas exploration in Greece. Our experience encompasses the construction and operation of energy networks by securing the necessary licenses and rights, aspects of environmental permits, transmission and distribution of energy and competition on the energy market. In addition, the firm has represented clients in energy-related dispute resolutions by both judicial and arbitration procedures. Our energy team has advised several major domestic and international clients in practically every major energy-related project and contract in Greece and provides regular advice to a multitude of public energy utility companies (electricity, natural gas).
Our practice focuses on the following:
- corporate establishment;
- legal due diligence in connection with energy projects;
- licensing procedures;
- monitoring procedures issued by utility companies for the awarding, drafting and execution of all contracts involved (procurement, services, works, supply etc.);
- drafting and negotiating project agreements and sub-contracts for energy projects;
- support of legal relations with the Energy Regulatory Authority and other supervising authorities;
- representation before courts in energy-related disputes, including arbitration related to energy construction issues.
Recent highlight work includes:
- advising the Public Power Corporation (PPC S.A.) regarding compliance with PPC’s obligations arising under public procurement and energy law
- acting as legal advisor of the Operator of the Electricity Network (LAGIE S.A.) in connection with recourses of several companies against the imposition of the Extraordinary Solidarity Contribution on RES and CHP stations. Due to the importance of the cases the hearing was held before the Council of State in a “pilot-trial”.
- assisting DEPA SA (Public Gas Corporation) in all energy legal issues, judicial disputes and cases, representing and supporting the Company in front of courts of all degrees and providing legal opinions and advice to the company’s management on matters of energy law and in general in matters of compliance with Greek laws;
- advising ADMIE SA (Independent Power Transmission Operator SA – IPTO) regarding the procurement of public contracts for of the interconnection of Cyclades islands to the mainland transmission system by submarine cables;
- acting as general legal counsel to EPA Attica, the natural gas supplier for the Greater Athens Area, representing the company in all kinds of commercial disputes and cases, drafting, reviewing and negotiating all kinds of contracts and attending the entire range of housekeeping matters relevant to the company’s daily operations and providing legal opinions and advice to the company’s management on a broad spectrum of issues encroaching on company law, intellectual and industrial property, privacy and data protection laws and compliance with Greek laws and regulations in general.
- Acting as legal advisor of DESFA SA (Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator on various issues, including fines imposed by the Hellenic Competition Commission (for alleged violation of DESFA’s obligation to grant access to the natural gas transmission system) and on issues arising under the procurement of public contracts.