Our tax specialists possess significant experience in both Greek and international Tax Law matters and advice important local and international entities, institutions and individuals on the taxation and tax planning implication issues arising in the course of their business.
Our clients are benefited from our team’s excellent knowledge of Greek and international tax regime (Greek tax legislation, double taxation conventions, development incentive legislation) by means of which the most tax-efficient structure is achieved and any tax pitfalls in their activities in Greece are avoided.
Further to the above, our tax experts possess vast experience in advising and representing Greek and multinational corporations, institutions, and individuals before either judicial or extrajudicial authorities in connection with highly complex legal matters pertinent to all aspects of Greek and international tax law.
Our practice focuses on the following:
- Income tax obligations
- Taxation and tax planning
- Tax-wise optimum investment of our clients’ capital
- VAT issues in both domestic and international transactions as well as duties and other levies on imported products
- Transfer pricing between associated companies
- Implication of tax legislation on real-estate sale or purchase, inheritance, donations and parental donations
- Support during the process of tax audits
- Client representation in judicial and extra-judicial disputes with the tax authorities
- Scientific and academic analysis of taxation issues (legal opinions)
Recent highlight transactions include:
- represented all major Greek Banks with regard to their dispute on various withholding tax issues;
- represented various multinationals in connection with their disputes on imposition of stamp duty on cash pooling transactions;
- representing Lafarge Holcim SA with regard to its dispute against the the tax authorities on the imposition of tax surcharges following a final court decision;
- representing ION SA (a food company) in relation to various transfer pricing issues, following tax audits;
- representing INTRALOT SA (gambling company) in relation to its dispute with the tax authority for the alleged receipt of fictitious invoices.
- acting as legal counsel to Eurobank SA with regard to an application before the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in relation to the constitutionality of the Greek legal provisions providing that the tax withheld on interest accrued on bonds;
- represented Hellenic Petroleum SA with regard to its claim for the refund of income tax that was withheld on the payment of interests that were made to the Client by two of its subsidiaries;
- represented SECAP SA (a tobacco company) in relation to its dispute with the tax authorities for the tax treatment of a debt – for – equity swap carried out by the Company for the purpose of financing its business activities;
- represented the Church of Scientology in relation to its dispute with the tax authorities against the imposition of special property tax;
- acted as legal counsel to Operator of Electricity Network (LAGIE SA) in connection with recourses of several companies against the imposition of the Extraordinary Solidarity Contribution on RES and CHP stations. Due to the importance of the cases the hearing was held before the Council of State in a “pilot-trial”;
- acted as legal counsel to Nestle Hellas S.A. in connection with the litigation of its appeal before the competent Committee of the Ministry of Finance and the Administrative Court of Appeal related to stamp duties imposed on cash pooling transactions between Nestle Hellas S.A. and other companies of the same Group;
- acting as legal counsel to NEA ODOS S.A. in connection with the litigation of its appeal before the Administrative Courts of First Instance and the Administrative Court of Appeal related to municipal fees imposed by several municipal authorities;
- acting as legal counsel to EPA Attica (Attiki Gas Supply Company) in connection with the litigation of its appeal before the Administrative Court of First Instance related to municipal fees imposed by the Municipality of Perama, Attica;
- acted as legal counsel to Eurobank Asset Management MFMC (the subsidiary of Eurobank Group) in connection with the litigation of its appeal before the Council of State related to transaction tax imposed on the sale of listed stocks;
- acting as legal counsel to EADS 3-Sigma (the subsidiary of EADS Deutschland) in connection with the litigation of its appeal before the competent Committee of the Ministry of Finance and the administrative court of Appeals in relation to the refund of VAT amounts;
- acted as legal counsel to Multi Foam SA in connection with the litigation of its appeal before the Council of State against the application for annulment of the respective decision of the administrative court of appeals, approving the deduction from the company’s gross income of certain business expenses;
- advised Trapeza Piraeus SA in relation to several issues with regard to the tax impacts (capital gain tax, immovable property transfer tax etc) of the transfer of the assets of the Cypriot Banks in Greece.